Saturday, August 13, 2011

Living with Lupus

Having lupus has made the demands of my everyday life challenging. When my lupus is active, I have symptoms of joint stiffness, pain, extreme fatigue, confusion, and/or depression which makes simple tasks difficult, and sometimes impossible. And, because I don't have any visible signs of the disease, the people around me do not realize how much discomfort and pain I am experiencing, and some people do not even know that I am sick at all. Explaining lupus is a challenge. It is not easy to describe a disease with symptoms that are so varied and yet often not visible, whose effects can range from manageable to life-threatening, and whose course is sporadic, alternating between periods of wellness and flare. Explaining lupus is even more difficult because the causes of lupus are unknown. Of the many lessons with having lupus, none is more valuable than learning to take personal time for myself. Walking my Baby Dog Bella, listening to music on the radio, planting a flower garden, doing crossword puzzles, re-visiting a favorite book or movie, practicing yoga or playing the Wii, meditating, praying, or some other form of spiritual practice -- self-enrichment activities like these will nourish and invigorate my spirit. Taking personal time will help provide me with the strength and the relaxation I need to have a better life while living with lupus. It's hard living with Lupus, but not impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment